Mary Brown Malouf over at the Salt Lake Magazine reports in detail on the plans over at Cucina Restaurant Group.
If you hadn’t already heard the rumors and speculation there are some very ambitious plans in the work. To recap Mary’s (and a few others) scoop:
* New restaurant Veloce will open as a fast/casual eatery offering a rosticceria, crespelle bar, gelateria, carpaccio bar, pasticeria, pizzas, panini and more.
* Restaurant Caterina in Sugarhouse will blossom into a full operation French restaurant, bistro style breakfast and lunch and full service dinners.
* Chef’s Elio Scanu (Zucca Trattoria) and Jean Louis Montecot (Jean Louis) will be overseeing the restaurants
* Impresario Valter Nassi is working on another new restaurant that will open in the old Metropolitan space. Details as they surface and a blog of the restaurants progress can be found at www.valtersrestaurant.com
* Cucina Toscana will continue, with some menu tweaks but with no Valter as (depending on various reports) he is either retiring or working on his new restaurant.
Phew, got all that?
Blue prawns with black pepper condiment, sun-dried pineapple and pea shoot salt
Costilla de Bufalo Hornedas: slow-roasted buffalo short ribs, guajillo sauce
Artisinal French toast – Snake River Farms pulled pork, foi gras ice cream, spiced peanuts
Panna cotta al limoncello: limoncello flan served with crème anglaise and fresh fruit
Seriously, you won’t want to miss this event which features tasting plates from over 50 restaurants, of the whos who in the current SLC dining scene. Its all for charity too, so honestly, what are you waiting for, go buy tickets now.
Taste Of The Wasatch
Solitude Mountain Resort
12000 Big Cottonwood Canyon Solitude, UT 84121
Tillamook SLC Burger Week
Theres still time to taste a couple of tasty creations in support of Tillamook’s Burger Week. Right now the ‘Loaf Love Tour’ is in town, showcasing a handful of Salt Lake City burgers using Tillamook cheese. Burger Week runs through till July 28, with two local restaurants taking part:
Wild Grape Bistro – Tillamook Triple Cheese Burger – A sustainable beef burger with Tillamook Sharp Cheddar, Monterey Jack, and Pepper Jack Cheese, along with spinach, tomato, and artisan bread, served with house-cut fries ($11).
Squatters Pub Brewery – Tillamook Jacked-Up Burger – Niman Ranch® all-natural 100% ground chuck topped with Tillamook Pepper Jack Cheese, roasted green chilies, fresh cut avocado, and house made chipotle aioli served on Squatters’ ale-infused spent grain bun with choice of fries or salad ($10).
Summer at Shabu
Park City Main Street restaurant Shabu, known for its unique Asian flavors, sushi menu and martinis has released its new summer hours, menus, and daily drink specials. Shabu is now open 7 days a week from 11:30am to close. “Our extended summer hours are a direct result of what our customers have been asking for,” explains Kevin Valaika, co-owner of Shabu. “We are also offering happy hour specials every day which is becoming a favorite with our local clientele.”
An extensive list of new drink specials are available daily during Happy Hour from 3:00-6:00pm. $5 Martini Madness and $5 Dim Sum specials happen every Friday and Saturday. In addition, customers who spend $75 on the dinner menu will receive a $25 savings. This special runs through December 15, 2012.
442 Main Street Park City
Hi, I’m Stuart, nice to meet you! I’m the founder, writer and wrangler at Gastronomic SLC and The Utah Review; I’m also a former restaurant critic of more than five years, working for the Salt Lake Tribune. I’ve worked extensively with other local publications from Utah Stories through to Salt Lake Magazine and Visit Salt Lake.
I’m a multiple-award winning journalist and have covered the Utah dining scene for more than a decade. I’m largely fueled by Uinta Cutthroat, alliteration and the use of too many big words I don’t understand. I ate all the pies.