Under Current * – One of downtown’s hippest hangouts will be reprising their popular ‘Absinthe and Oysters’ educational class on Saturday, March 12th, 4-5:30 p.m.
The evening will focus on the history, tasting notes and pairing of three different absinthe brands, two cocktails and three sets of paired oysters. Cost to attend is $55. RSVP by calling 801-574-2556 or emailing Amy@UnderCurrentBar.com.
Absinthe is a neutral spirit infused with a myriad of herbs and botanicals, centering around anise, fennel and a specific type of wormwood, Artemisia absinthium, from which absinthe takes its name. From 1792 when Dr. Pierre Ordinaire released the first batch in Switzerland, to 1837 when absinthe was introduced to New Orleans, to the 1915 ban in France, it has enjoyed a long storied history. Just recently production has returned and the drink has gained popularity.
“Much myth exists. Small amounts of thujone are contained in wormwood, a compound once thought to affect the mind,” says Eldridge. “It’s understood now that hallucinations and other health issues attributed to overindulging in absinthe were more a result of alcohol poisoning due to the high alcohol content, typically 50 – 70 percent.”
Learn more fascinating insights at the event itself!
270 300 E, Salt Lake City, UT 84111
Frida Bistro – Carlos Gaytán, CEO of Chicago’s famed restaurant Mexique, the only Mexican restaurant in the United States honored with the Michelin Star, will create an extraordinary meal for a small group of guest for 2 nights only. The events
help raise scholarship money for Artes de Mexico en Utah – which you can read more about on The Utah Review here.
The meals at Frida Bistro will be held Thursday March 3rd & Saturday March 5th at 7pm. The 5 course meal with wine pairings is priced $140 ($100 food, $40 wine pairings courtesy of Vine Lore*) and the menu is as follows:
* Ahi tuna ceviche, tangerine/rosemary aguachile, pomelo grapefruit, radishes, tostaditas
* Zocker Grüner Veltliner Paragon Vineyard, Edna Valley, 2014
* Roasted baby beets, goat cheese, beet powder, poached pears, walnuts, baby kale, endive, warm balsamic vinaigrette
* Ceretto Arneis Langhe DOC, Piemonte, 2013
* Pan seared mahi-mahi, tamal de requeson, huazontles, tomato/habanero Salsa
* Lorenza Rosé, California 2014, Grenache, Cinsault, Mourvedre, Carignan
* Stuffed pork tenderloin with chorizo and Dates, sweet potato puree, chile morron salsa, brussels sprouts
* Paraiso Vineyards, Santa Lucia Highlands, 2014 Burgundian
* Roasted green apple tart, sweet rosemary crumble, cajeta, apple & cinnamon ice cream, bacon powder
* Blandy’s Sercial Madeira
545 700 S, Salt Lake City, UT 84101
SLC POP – With Spring just around the corner, this local pop up of Top Chef star Katie Weinner is turning its attention to asparagus, artichokes, radishes, avocados and more. They’ve been been testing new ingredients and developing Spring inspired dishes which you can test out at their next events on March 5th and 12th.
Red Moose Coffee
1693 900 E, Salt Lake City, UT 84105
* Gastronomic SLC is a proud local partner of Under Current and Vine Lore.
Hi, I’m Stuart, nice to meet you! I’m the founder, writer and wrangler at Gastronomic SLC; I’m also a former restaurant critic of more than five years, working for the Salt Lake Tribune. I’ve worked extensively with multiple local publications from Visit Salt Lake to Salt Lake Magazine, not least helped to consult on national TV shows.
I’m a multiple-award winning journalist and have covered the Utah dining scene for the better part of fifteen years. I’m largely fueled by a critical obsession with rice, alliteration and the use of big words I don’t understand. What they’re saying about me: “Not inaccurate”, “I thought he was older”, “I don’t share his feelings”.
This article may contain content provided by one of our paid partners. These are some of the best businesses in Utah. The current businesses we work with include:
- Bourbon House
- BTG Wine Bar
- Caffe Molise
- Feldman's Deli
- Flanker Kitchen + Sporting Club
- Kao Thai
- Log Haven
- Oasis Cafe
- SLC Eatery
- Stoneground Italian Kitchen
- Taqueria 27
- Whiskey Street
- White Horse