The SALO Project – SALO, the moveable Filpino pop-up dinner visiting all 50 US states, hits SLC this Sunday (September 28th). The intimate gathering (Salu-salo means dinner party) with host and chef Yana Gilbuena seeks to explore Filipino cuisine in detail and depth, showcasing the flavors of this 7,100+ island archipelago nation.
The evening event will consist of a five course traditional family style dinner full of unique flavors composed from local and seasonal ingredients – all served on banana leaves and eaten sans utensils (kamayan). The menu is as follows:
* Pinais na Kabute – seasonal mushrooms wrapped and steamed in banana leaves.
* Almondigas at Misua – meatballs with glass noodles in a tomato based broth
* Adobong Baka – a classic Filipino dish featuring beef short ribs, braised in vinegar.
* Chef’s Surprise
* Cassava Cake – taro root cake, baked with milk and cheese.
Tickets cost $50.00 and can be purchased via https://eatfeastly.com/meals/d/19138228/?rf=fwebcmktshrecopy
* Tostaditas – Duck confit over black bean puree, sautéed red onion and corn, queso cotija, and an ancho chile reduction
* Gruet Sparkling Brut or Willamette Valley Whole Cluster Pinot Noir
* Creamy saffron soup made with potato and leek , finished with tomato, onion, lemon, cilantro, three-chile oil and
* Willm Vin D’Alsace Gewurtztraminer or Bodega Torrontes Colome
* Pork tenderloin with achiote reduction, a seasonal relish of zucchini, yellow squash, and cilantro, accompanied by green onion mashed potatoes
* Prazo de Roriz or Turley Juvenile Zinfandel
* Surprise dessert
* Graham’s 10 year Tawny Port or Gruet Sparkling Brut
Reservations can be made through Open Table.
545 W 700 S, Salt Lake City, UT 84101
Farm To Glass – As the Salt Lake Magazine’s 2014 Farm To Glass contest comes to a close, mark your calendars for the wrap up party on October 5th at 6-10 p.m. The month long contest pitted mixologists of some of SLC’s finest restaurants against each other, in the quest for the perfect libation.
The wrap up party will feature some of SL Mag’s favorite creations from the month long contest plus food from local chefs and farmers. Also in attendance will be Pop-Art PopCorn with a DIY popcorn bar and Harmons with a cheese bar. Each bar will have a suggested pairing that you can choose from the cocktail bars at the event.
Salt Lake Magazine and Juniper & Co. will host the Farm To Glass Cocktail Contest award party at the Ice House. Tickets are $20 for access and food, or $45 for food and drinks. Tickets for the event can be purchase via Juniper And Co.
430 W 300 N Salt Lake City, Utah
* Gastronomic SLC is a proud local partner of Frida Bistro.
Hi, I’m Stuart, nice to meet you! I’m the founder, writer and wrangler at Gastronomic SLC and The Utah Review; I’m also a former restaurant critic of more than five years, working for the Salt Lake Tribune. I’ve worked extensively with other local publications from Utah Stories through to Salt Lake Magazine and Visit Salt Lake.
I’m a multiple-award winning journalist and have covered the Utah dining scene for more than a decade. I’m largely fueled by Uinta Cutthroat, alliteration and the use of too many big words I don’t understand. I ate all the pies.