Tin Angel wine dinner
Join Tin Angel and Bon Vivant Wine Imports this Sartuday (January 18th) as they raise a glass to women in wine. The restaurant now snugly settled into their new Eccles Theatre home will be hosting a paired wine dinner featuring the wines of Spain, Portugal and the Basque region – all made by women.
The event kicks off at 6.30 p.m. and costs $72.50 per person. Price includes a four course tapas meal with four wine pairings. Brad Jenson of Bon Vivant will also be leading guests through the tasting and details of each wine. Tickets available via Tin Angel’s website.
131 Main St, Salt Lake City, UT 84111
Copper Onion turns ten
Join Copper Onion on Monday January 20th, as they turn a decade old; no mean feat in this industry where most new openings do well to pass the 12 month mark. I had to look back at our first review of CO way back in May 2010 to refresh myself with how the dining landscape was progressing. Openings like Eva, Meditrina, Frida Bistro, Forage, and Pago we’re creating buzz and Copper Onion looked like the icing on the cake. Well, it really was.
To celebrate the big day the team at Copper Onion will be offering a range of dishes from their first year in business, not least cooked up by some of the roster of chefs that have helmed the kitchen over the years including. In fact Copper Onion are getting the proverbial band back together for one night only. The starting line-up way back in 2010, and coming back for a cameo appearance include:
- Chef Ryan Lowder – Head Chef/Wheel (Owner)
- Colleen Lowder – Floor Manager (Original General Manager)
- Maureen Segrave-Daly – Bartender (San Francisco Bartender)
- Clint Hollingsworth – Server (Current Operations Director)
- Ben Meeks – Busser (Current CO Server)
- Michael Eccleston – Food Runner (Owner of Quarters Arcade Bar)
- Jeff Withey – Food Runner (Youngs Market)
- Vlad Guerrero – Line Cook (Current Exec Sous Chef)
- Ryan (Peaches) Lamon – Line Cook (Owner of Peter Trouts, Portland, Maine)
- Kevin Romans – Line Cook (Former Sous Chef)
- Eric Daniels – Line Cook (Chef at Brickyard Bar)
Some dishes from the teams first year include:
- Ricotta dumplings
- CO burger
- Pasta carbonara
- Pork Belly with parsnips and amarena cherries
- Chickpeas with morcea, mint, apricot, and pine nuts
- Hazelnut sweetbreads with fennel and citrus
- Duck Confit with butternut puree, mushroom caps, and pepitas
- Pork Shank with celeriac puree, celery, apples, and jalapenos
Of course there’s one dish that’s not changed at all over those years – the pictured sautéed mushrooms. A Clifford Farms eggs wobbles atop a flurry of matchstick potatoes and earthy mushrooms. Salsa verde crowns the whole thing. It’s amazing today as it was in 2010, sante!
111 E Broadway, Salt Lake City, UT 84111
Stanza celebrates Mardi Gras
One for your diary a little later in the year – chef Jonathan LeBlanc is reaching back to his Louisiana roots and bringing a truly unique dining experience to Stanza next month. Join the downtown team on February 25th and 27th for their very first Cajun/Creole Mardi Gras dinner.
The brace of events both begin at 6.30 p.m. and featured a range of classic Louisiana cocktail and drink pairings. Menu as follows:
- New Orleans BBQ shrimp, Southern stone ground grits
- Pimm’s Cup 1 Italian Spritz
- Gulf seafood gumbo, toasted dark roux, holy trinity, popcorn rice, horseradish new potato salad, Rum Barrell hot sauce
- Sazerac (classic cognac cocktail)
- Crab stuffed mirlitons, shrimp creole sauce, 5 pepper brunoise
- Hurricane (rum cocktail)
- Peach-Southern Comfort Sorbet
- Red fish Pontchartrain, dirty rice dressing, corn maque choux, crawfish etouffee sauce,
- Epic Brewery Double Skull Doppelbock
- Chocolate croissant bread pudding, Frangelico crème Anglaise, brûlèed marshmallows, pecan praline
- Chicory root coffee
Cost is $90 per person ($60 food / $30 drink parings) and reservations are a must.
454 E 300 S, Salt Lake City, UT 84111
Deer Valley Grocery Cafe
The next iteration of the Park City Plated dining series takes place at this popular local cafe, and does so with an arty twist. On January 29th at 6.30 p.m. guests will enjoy signature menu items while The Paint Mixer provides a little hands on fun with step-by-step instructions to painting a Sundance-themed cityscape of Park City’s Main Street.
The dinner and painting experience, including supplies, is $68. Drink specials will also be available. Reservations can be made at https://app.getoccasion.com/p/n/xrxxKpzT?source=agenda_calendar
1375 Deer Valley Dr, Park City, UT 84060
Veneto Winemaker dinner
Lastly, another wine dinner of note. Here’s th formal blurb from the restaurant itself about the event:
In recent years, the estate of Casanova di Neri has become world famous for its incredible Brunello di Montalcinos, in particular its super multi-vineyard blend Tenuta Nuova and single-vineyard Cerretalto. Owner Giacomo Neri has made three 100-point wines in his career: the 2006 Casanova di Neri Brunello di Montalcino Tenuta Nuova and the 2001 and 2010 Casanova di Neri Brunello di Montalcino Cerretalto. Yet what’s almost more impressive is that he can make top wines in less than easy vintages. For example, Giacomo made admirable Brunellos in 2011, 2009 and 2008 in far from perfect grape-growing conditions. He is one of the masters of Brunello. —James Suckling
Gianlorenzo Neri, son of owner Giacomo Neri will be sharing insights and stories about this cutting edge winery of Montelcino. Join him for a five-course dinner paired with four wines, including the opportunity to taste two vintages of their world famous Brunello di Montelcino, Tenuta Nuova. $190 per person
370 E 900 S, Salt Lake City, UT 84111