Put Tuesday March 27th in your diary (7-9.30 p.m.) as that’s the date for this most interesting pairing meal over at Saffron Valley. The seven course meal is part of their longer goal to bring more of the unique flavors and tradition of India to the streets of SLC. From the press release:
Like an old fashioned train journey through India, Lavanya from Saffron Valley will navigate you through each and every region and course telling you about the flavors, the culture and the background behind each dish. You’ll enjoy a 7 course dinner with 5 wines that take you through the unique food quarters of India – from north, south, east and west. We’ll have our wine expert joining us to showcase wines that pair exquisitely with each course. In addition to dinner guests will be treated to henna tattoos and swag bags including a copy of the Saffron Valley Journal and a Saffron Valley spice sampler.
The menu for the evening is as follows:
* Welcome drink – smoked pineapple quencher with tandoor-fired pineapple churned and finished with roasted cumin
* Chaat poppers, potato mash, mixed vegetables, chutneys & yogurt caviar. Modern twist to indian street food.
* Seekh kebab, spice marinated, tandoor grilled, skewered lamb mince- juicy, scrumptious and alluring
* Cauliflower turmeric bliss – delicious soup of pureed cauliflower and turmeric served with lotus root chips
* Smoked paneer slices marinated with yogurt and spices served with a savory semolina pudding
* Fish marinated in a manglorean spices finished on a grill served with curry leaf potato. An exquisite costal experience.
* Chicken kofta – chicken meatballs cooked in mild cashew & cardamom sauce with a touch of truffle oil served with a wild mushroom biryani
* Mango moksha – Alphonso mangoes served as a mousse with a pistachio brittle and a saffron cardamom macaroon
Net proceeds will benefit the upcoming Saffron Kitchen, Culinary School & Studio – a non-profit space dedicated to helping underserved young adults develop commercial cooking skills to take them into the professional culinary world. The event is 21+ only and by reservation only. Tickets are priced $125 and include 7 courses with 5 wine pairings; $90 food only. Tickets can be bought online at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/a-culinary-tour-of-india-wine-dinner-by-saffron-valley-salt-lake-magazine-tickets-42476585611
Saffron Valley Sugar House
479 East 2100 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84115
On Wednesday March 14th (5–7 p.m.) Under Current Bar will host a casual social event featuring Big Gin. Their founder and distiller Ben Capdevielle will entertain guests with the story of Big Gin and Captive Spirits Distilling. The public is welcome, there is no cover charge and all menu items may be ordered a la carte.
Martini selections by managing partner Amy Eldredge will feature Big Gin’s catalogue of London Dry, Bourbon Barred Aged and Peated Gin, paired with a variety of oysters from the acclaimed kitchens of Current Fish & Oyster. Eldredge writes:
We are very excited to be hosting Big Gin here at Under Current. Our mission from day one has always been to carry unique and interesting products here at the bar, and we especially love supporting small, family-owned, local distilleries. This is a beautiful series of gin, and you really can’t beat the classic pairing of oysters and martinis.
Ben Capdevielle, owner and founder, began distilling gin as a hobby with his father, “Big Jim.” Jim learned how to distill from his father, Ted, and happily passed the tradition along to Ben. After ten years behind bars and in kitchens, Ben started making Big Gin, aptly named after his father, “Big Jim.” His company, Captive Spirits Distilling sold its first bottle of Big Gin in February 2011. https://www.captivespiritsdistilling.com/big-gin.
79 300 E, Salt Lake City, UT 84111
During their first whiskey dinner of 2018, Stanza will be combining the best of High West Distillery alongside dishes from chef Jonathan LeBlanc’s five-course tasting menu featuring beef, exclusively from Snake River Farms. The dinner on Thursday, March 15th (6.30 p.m. onwards) is priced at $85 per person; $55 per person without whiskey pairings. Menu as follows:
* Kurobuta pork belly: jalapeño-corn maque choux, parsnip puree, pepper jelly
* Paired with Rye Boulevardier: Double Rye, sweet vermouth, capelletti
* American Wagyu skirt steak: Rendezvous Rye chipotle chimichurri, cilantro-pesto whipped potatoes, vegetable pearls
* Paired with Rye Sour: Rendezvous Rye, lemon, honey, bitters lab habañero
* Apricot orange blossom sorbet
* American Wagyu teres major: American Prairie glazed pearl onions, smoked cannellini beans, roasted red pepper preserve
* Paired with a Prairie Manhattan: American Prairie, Ransom vermouth, Angostura
* High West Double Rye brownie sundae
* Paired with a Boyscout: Campfire, chocolate bitters, simple, orange
454 E 300 S, Salt Lake City, UT 84111
Join We Olive as they welcome The Raclette Machine for a Melted Cheese Experience. This local startup has made a splash in Salt Lake City with their innovative, yet traditional take on this Alpine classic. Raclette is a semi hard swiss cheese that is melted and scraped off onto a plate of potatoes, cured meats, and cornichons. Local owners Zara and Abby have come up with their own unique twist on this Alpine dish while staying true to its roots.
Guests will be able to sample three of The Raclette Machine’s dishes each being paired with wines from We Olive:
* The Alpine – Raclette cheese melted and scraped onto bread, potatoes, greens, cornichons (pickles), and prosciutto
* The Wasatch (sandwich) – Wasatch Mountain cheese melted and scraped onto a baguette, salami, pumpkin & pepper sauce, greens, and a side of cornichons (pickles).
* French Onion Soup – Raclette cheese melted and scraped onto a bowl of French Onion Soup topped with garlic croutons.
Each of these dishes will come with a 3oz glass of wine to compliment Zara and Abby’s creations, who will also be present to field questions. As with all events at We Olive, attendees also receive a 10% discount on any retail purchases made during the evening. Don’t miss this unique opportunity as the Olive Oil Experience and the Melted Cheese Experience combine forces to create a fun, and unique evening at We Olive.
Tickets are priced $60 and can be purchased online at:
602 E 500 S, Salt Lake City, UT 84102
Join special guest (Mira winemaker) Gustavo Gonzalez at Pago on Thursday, March 6th from 6-8 p.m. Hang out with Gustavo for a couple hours as he pours three of his classic Napa wines. Chef Phelix Gardner will also be putting together some beautiful dishes to complement each wine.
878 S. 900 East, Salt Lake City, UT, 84102
As part of Snowbird’s Pairing Series, sip and savor some of local broker’s Vine Lore’s favorite wines while enjoying a 4-course special menu on March 10th at The Lodge Bistro (6.30 p.m. onwards). In attendance will be Rutherford Ranch Wines’ GM – Morgan Zaninovich – who will be on-hand to explain tasting notes and the wine making process. Cost is $119 or just $69 for food. Menu and details as follows:
9260 E # 082, Lodge Rd, Snowbird, UT 84092