Celebrate The Bounty – There’s just one week left to secure your tickets for the yearly fundraiser in support of all things local. Tickets are priced $65 in advance and are ten bucks more on the day of the event. If you’ve already bought tickets (or need a nudge), here’s some additional info that landed in our mailbox this week about a few dishes you can expect to savor:
Drake Farms goats’ milk panna cotta, pickled beets, crispy squash
Kimchi and root vegetable stew with braised and smoked Utah beef shortrib.
Tea shortbread, fresh pumpkin cheese and apple jam.
Butternut Squash with apples, puff pastry, and bacon.
Even Stevens Sandwiches
Chorizo Sloppy Joe with pickled red onion, local slaw on a brioche slider
Other featured restaurants include: Black Sheep Cafe, Red Iguana, Zest, Dolcetti Gelato, From Scratch, Sage’s Cafe and Frida Bistro. Additionally, if you’re in the mood for a tipple Wine will be courtesy of IG Winery, cocktails crafted by Jake Hall of Bar X and O.P. Rockwell, and beer provided by Wasatch Brewery.
The event will be held at the Rico’s Warehouse (attached to Frida Bistro) on Thursday, October 15th and begins at 7:00PM (21+ only folks).
545 W. 700 South, Salt Lake City, Utah 84101
Culinary Crafts Pop-up – After two completely sold-out pop-up restaurants in Utah County, Culinary Crafts is moving to SLC for it’s October event. The award winning caterer of more than a decade offers diners a glimpse into their unique cuisine via these one off popup events. On October 23rd at 7 p.m. the team will be offering a 10-course dinner menu, created personally by founder Mary Crafts, featuring the best of Utah’s October harvest. The special event will take place in the Culinary Crafts Tasting Room in downtown SLC.
Co-host for the evening is The Green Urban Lunch Box. A portion of each ticket sold will go to support the nonprofit who run four local programs:
* Mobile Greenhouse, a 35-foot school bus that has been converted into a mobile greenhouse, and is used as an educational tool to teach children in the community about agriculture.
* FruitShare Program, partnering with SLCgreen and Real Food Rising to help better utilize fruit trees in residential areas around the city. By registering their trees, residents receive help from knowledgeable volunteers in maintaining their trees for optimal yield, as well as help in harvesting. The excess fruit that the homeowner would otherwise be unable to harvest or salvage is shared with local food-assistance programs, feeding those in need.
* Back-Farm Program provides elderly community members with local volunteers who work together to convert seniors’ backyard space into urban farms. Through the hard work of the Back-Farm’s apprentices and the efforts of the homeowners, overgrown yards are transformed into fertile gardens. The elderly participant and the apprentice nurture a relationship and friendship through weekly visits. The vegetables grown are divided evenly between homeowner, volunteers, and local hunger-relief organizations.
* Small Farm Initiative is a farmer-training program for young and/or beginning farmers who are interested in making a career out of urban agriculture.
A few examples from the 10-course seated dinner include: vegetables and fruit from The Green Urban Lunch Boxes gardens; Mesquite-grilled rocky mountain red trout with The Green Urban Lunch Box apple chutney, sous vide citrus-marinated Snake River tenderloin of beef; and Utah Amano chocolate espresso pot de crème with Utah pistachio biscotti.
Cost for the evening is $150 per person with a special wine pairing created by sommelier Michael Roussin (Bacchus Event Services) available for an an additional $50 (a cash bar will also be available). Tickets can be purchased online at: www.CulinaryCraftspopupRestaurant.eventbrite.com
357 200 S #100, Salt Lake City, UT 84101
Park City shoulder Season – Headed up to mountains soon? Take note of the following changes to business hours during the current shoulder season – courtesy of our friends at PCARA.
No Change to Hours
The Brass Tag at The Lodges at Deer Valley Resort
DEN Restaurant at The Park City Marriott
Park City Culinary Institute
Red Rock Brewery
Squatters Roadhouse Grill
Timbers Bar & Patio at The Park City Marriott
Wasatch Brew Pub
Temporary Change to Hours
501 On Main
Open for lunch and dinner
Closed Nov. 25, 26, and Dec. 25. Otherwise open seven days a week
Closed Sundays and Mondays from Oct. 4 to Nov. 21.
Closed Nov. 22 to Dec. 2.
Open seven days a week starting Dec. 3.
Deer Valley Grocery Café:
Starting Sept. 8: 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Closed Nov. 25 and 26.
Closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays from Oct. 6 to Nov. 21.
Closed Nov. 22 to Dec. 1.
Open seven days a week starting Dec. 2.
Closed Nov. 25, 26 and Dec. 25. Otherwise open seven days a week.
Monday-Thursday, 12-9:30 p.m.
Friday-Saturday, 12-10 p.m.
Sunday, 4-9 p.m.
Closed Oct. 11 to Dec. 2.
Windy Ridge Bakery
Closed Nov. 25, 26, Dec. 25 and Jan. 1.
Windy Ridge Café
Closed Nov. 25, 26 and Dec. 25.
High West Distillery & Saloon
Royal Street Café at Deer Valley Resort
Sept. 8 until opening day, Dec. 5
Check with individual restaurants or the PCARA website for the most up-to-date information on closing dates and spring and summer hours.
Hi, I’m Stuart, nice to meet you! I’m the founder, writer and wrangler at Gastronomic SLC; I’m also a former restaurant critic of more than five years, working for the Salt Lake Tribune. I’ve worked extensively with other local publications from Utah Stories through to Salt Lake Magazine and Visit Salt Lake. I’m a multiple-award winning journalist and have covered the Utah dining scene for more than a decade. I’m largely fueled by a critical obsession with rice, alliteration and the use of too many big words I don’t understand. What they’re saying about me: “Not inaccurate”, “I thought he was older”, “I don’t share his feelings”.
This article may contain content provided by one of our paid partners. These are some of the best businesses in Utah. The current businesses we work with include:
- Bourbon House
- BTG Wine Bar
- Caffe Molise
- Cafe Niche
- Current Fish & Oyster
- Feldman's Deli
- Kao Thai
- Log Haven
- Oasis Cafe
- SLC Eatery
- Stanza Italian Bistro
- Stoneground Italian Kitchen
- Taqueria 27
- Whiskey Street
- White Horse