A point of sale (POS) system is a computerized system that is used to process sales transactions in a restaurant or other retail business. The POS system typically consists of a computer or terminal, a printer, a cash drawer, and a barcode scanner or other payment processing device.
The POS system is used to process orders, calculate prices, and process payment transactions. It is typically connected to a restaurant’s inventory management system, allowing the restaurant to track inventory levels and sales data in real-time.
Why do I need a POS in my restaurant?
- Improved efficiency: A POS system can help to streamline and automate many of the tasks involved in processing sales transactions, allowing restaurant staff to work more efficiently and serve customers more quickly.
- Enhanced customer service: A POS system can provide useful information to restaurant staff, such as customer preferences and order history, which can be used to improve the customer experience.
- Accurate sales tracking and reporting: A POS system can provide detailed sales data and reports, which can be used to track the performance of the restaurant and make informed business decisions.
- Improved security: A POS system can help to prevent fraud and other security risks, by providing secure payment processing and tracking customer transactions.
How to choose a POS for a restaurant
Before signing on the dotted line, here are some important items to consider when choosing the POS setup for your business.
- Cost: The cost of a POS system can vary depending on the features and capabilities it offers. Be sure to compare the costs of different systems and consider your budget before making a decision.
- Ease of use: The POS system should be easy for your staff to use and understand, so they can process transactions quickly and efficiently. Look for systems that offer intuitive interfaces and straightforward navigation.
- Integration with other systems: If your restaurant uses other software or systems, such as an inventory management system or a customer relationship management (CRM) system, it is important to choose a POS system that can integrate seamlessly with these other tools.
- Payment processing options: The POS system should support the payment processing options that your restaurant offers, such as credit and debit cards, mobile payments, and other payment methods.
- Customer support: It’s important to choose a POS system that comes with reliable customer support, so you can get help with any issues or questions that may arise.
- Hardware: POS systems come in all manner of shapes and sizes. There are versions suited to food trucks through to systems that allow customers to order online or using an in store kiosk. Some systems let your staff take orders directly at the table using their smartphones.
- Data and analytics: Knowledge is power! A solid point of sale tool will offer you advanced reporting tools that can give you an insight into how your business is running Absolutely ask any potential POS provider for a demonstration of their tool, and a walkthrough of the various reports their tools can offer. This could make or break your restaurant.
- Cancellation: Be sure to ask about the contract length you will need to commit to, and how does cancellation work? Can you walk away at any time, or are you required to give a notice period before switching out to a new system.
List of POS providers for restaurants
Information listed below taken directly from the POS providers; may include affiliate links, where we earn referral fees for contacting or signing up with the company.
Waiter X is the best restaurant software out there. It allows diners to manage their entire dining experience through their cell phone. No more waiting for a waiter to take your order or bring you your food and check. With Waiter X, you’re in control. WaiterX is also a Utah based business.
Manage all on-prem and off-prem order sources in one system. 24/7 support, top-tier reliability, and full offline mode keep your restaurant moving. According Toast data restaurants using the Toast platform have outperformed their peers by 10-30%.
Offers a range of devices for restaurants including Clover Go which delivers out-of-the-box processing: just charge, connect and pair with the Clover Go app. Accept all payment types anywhere you have wifi or a cellular connection.
With Lightspeed Payments, you can accept all popular payment methods, offer contactless transactions and secure your payments data with our PCI compliant solution.
Upserve’s restaurant management software is your all-in-one solution to successfully run your restaurant. Payment processing, point of sale and valuable insights to boost margins while saving you time. Our platform is easy to implement and use, reliable, and backed by 24/7 U.S.-based support experts.
Accept payment anywhere – curbside, tableside, or delivery. Full mobile ordering functionality for improved efficiency. Capture emails to build your marketing database.
Serve customers, take payments, and run your entire business from a single POS system.
Add your business to this list
Simply drop us an email with your information to firstname.lastname@example.org and we can add you to the list. Free listings should be no longer than 100 words long.
Utah restaurant Industry resources
Looking for a specific Utah restaurant services or product? From fridges and freezers to payroll and POS – we’re here to help. Go back to our restaurant resources homepage.